Saturday 29 October 2011

Scenes from a Train



We took the train from Heuston Station in Dublin to Galway on Friday after work.  I had to take two buses to get there, and the first one didn't come when it was scheduled (thank you Dublin Bus) but it finally worked out and I got there.  Woo hoo.  We had a cup of coffee in the train station before embarking.

The Irish train system is called Iarnród Éireann and they have a whole new fleet of quiet, well mannered trains.  They are nice and quiet.  They don't even go clickity-clack over the track like those old electric-diesel dinosaurs operated by CalTrans (in California for the non-Cali-folks reading this.)  We have a track by our house and when the train goes by it sounds more like a 20 ton washing machine on spin-cycle.  Wooooosh.

On the train, they have a tea cart where you can purchase snacks.  I like Lyon's tea a great deal, so I got a cup.  Later (on my way to the restroom) I noticed a few little things about the train.  The "Nappy Changing" sign was in the restroom, which I found amusing.  Americans know what Nappies are but we don't really use that word.  Also, on the rear wall of every train car there is a manufacturer's sign.  This car was made by Hyundai in 2008.

3 comments:

  1. The other day Tomoko said something about riding a bike to the park with a buggy on her back. And I was like wha???? And she said stroller. Heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I think they use both 'buggy' and 'pram' here when they mean stroller. Pram is short for parambulator. I guess that would be like calling the train the 'loco' or something.

    Although... the word nappy reminds me of the hair salon in Salinas called, "Happy to be Nappy." So wait, they're happy to have a diaper on their head?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, "buggy" is a stroller and "pram" is a carriage. I haven't seen one of those in a long time though! :-)

    ReplyDelete